Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Response to Reading a Poetry Anthology


The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders
Written by: Jack Prelutsky
Illustrated by: Petra Mathers
Published by Scholastic, Inc. in 2002 in NY
Genre: Poetry
Ages: Grades K-3

I think poetry anthologies are great ways to be introduced to an author's work. Anthologies are also very good for works of poetry since many types of poetry are very short, one can have a completion of many poems all in one place!

I believe that his work is mostly written in nonsense verse because of its largely humorous quality. Although this is Jack Prelutsky's writing style, students can still learn from his work. He often sites places throughout the United States as the settings of his poems, which would make for a great introduction to a place for students to research. In this particular antholgy, he has one poem entitled "There Was a Tiny Baker" where he uses the word sarsaparilla. It is highly unlikely that any student would know what this is, so it is a good poem to peak their curiosity and have them look up this word. (Sarsaparilla is a carbonated drink flavored by a root of the same name.)

Mr. Prelutsky uses rhyme to his advantage in his poetry. The majority of the poems in this anthology have four lines per stanza. He varies his rhyming pattern greatly; Sometimes his poems' first lines rhyme with the third and the second lines rhyme with the fourth, sometimes only the second and fourth lines rhyme, and occasionally the first and second lines of his poems will rhyme and the third and fourth lines will as well. This rhyme and the author's use of specific words make each of his poems absolutely fit to sing. The rhythm is something that one could tap his foot or beat a drum to; it is very obvious to the reader.

There really was not much alliteration that I found in his poetry except the repeted "p's" in "Peanut Peg and Peanut Pete, which can be found below. Similarly, Mr. Prelutsky does not use onomatopoeia, at least not in this anthology or use the form of the words in the poem itself to emphasize his words. However, he uses imagery to make readers feel as thought they are a part of the action in the poem. One of my favorite poems form this work, "I Went to the Store," which can be found below, is one such poem.

I could not choose only one poem as my favorite, so here are three that I really enjoyed.

"Baby in a High Chair" (46-47)

Baby in a high chair,
baby in a bib,
baby in a stroller,
baby in a crib.

Baby with the giggles,
baby with a smile,
such a lovely baby,
happy all the while.

(I think one reason I like this poem is the repetition at the beginning of each line. I also think the corresponding illustration by Petra Mathers is adorable!)

"I Went to the Store" (28-29)

I went to the store
for a pear and a plum.
The fruit was all gone,
so they sold me a drum.
I asked them for butter,
they offered me glue.
I tried to buy bread,
but they sold me a shoe.

They sold me a lamp
when I tried to buy cheese.
Instead of potatoes,
I wound up with keys.
They didn't have milk,
so they sold me an oar--
I'll never go back to that store anymore.

(I love this poem because even without the humorous picture of the man trying to carry all of these things, including a lampshade on his head, one can picture him and even imagine his frustration, just by the language of the poem!)

"Peanut Peg and Peanut Pete" (18-19)

Peanut Peg and Peanut Pete,
on a bright Atlanta street,
call in voices loud and clear,
"Peanuts! Get your peanuts here!"

"Peanut cookies, peanut cakes,
peanut butter, peanut shakes,
peanut ices, peanut pies,
peanut sauce, and peanut fries!"

All day long they gaily sell
peanuts still inside the shell,
peanuts salty, peanuts sweet--
Peanut Peg and Peanut Pete.

(This poem is perfect for me because I love peanut butter and anything made out of any type of nut, so if I ever found this peanut stand, I would have to buy at least one of everything! This poem makes me hungry and everything sounds so delicious!)

1 comment:

B. Frye said...

Thanks for sharing Erin! Yes-Prelutsky is known for his nonsense rhyming poetry! They are just so fun to read! Children really enjoy his words and are often inspired to write their own poems! Peanut Peg and Peanut Pete is a great one! Children could use this poem as a model and write their own about another food.